Saturday, June 6, 2015

Chicken and Rice Casserole

The other day I went to a local grocery store (Karns), because they were having an amazing deal on chicken quarters, $0.39/lb. Who can pass that up, I definitely can't; so, I bought 10 lbs of it (the gentleman that worked in the meat dept almost talked me into a case of it, which is 40 lbs; I was so tempted). I came home and seasoned them up and threw all 10 lbs on the grill, figuring I can make things all week with the leftovers; which brings me to this post. I went into my cabinets tonight trying to think of some thing new to make with my leftover chicken when I saw a jar of Heinz chicken gravy, which just so happened to have a recipe on the label that I had every ingredient for. It is a rather simple recipe to follow for a very tasty dinner.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredients

- 2 cups cooked chicken (whichever cut you prefer, I used the chicken quarters I had)
- 1 12oz jar of Heinz homestyle classic chicken gravy
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I used sharp white cheddar)
- 2 cup of frozen chopped broccoli, thawed (I used peas instead)
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste


1) Combine the chicken, gravy, rice, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, broccoli, garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper to taste.


2) Mix all of your ingredients well.


3) Place the combined ingredients in a baking dish, you can use an 8X8 or 2.2 quart Pyrex dish. Then sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.


4) Place the baking dish in your preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.


5) Divide and serve.


Very simple and definitely a crowd pleaser in our home. Next time I think I may try pepper or corn in the dish to change it up a little, but it is definitely one that I will be making again, especially if our grocery store keeps up with these awesome sales on meats/poultry.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment