Friday, February 28, 2014

Rice Pudding with Cooked Rice

I love rice pudding, a lot! So the other day when I was looking in my refrigerator I saw the left over brown rice that I had made the day before and immediately went to the internet to search for a recipe that called for cooked rice for rice pudding.  If you have ever done a search for rice pudding recipes you may see that most of the recipes call for uncooked rice.  Well, on allrecipes.com I found this recipe; it was one other best recipes that I have tried in awhile.

Ingredients

- 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice (I used brown rice)
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 egg beaten (I used a large egg)
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp of butter (I used salted)
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract


1) Combine cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups of milk, and salt in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat.  Cook and stir until creamy, which will take about 15 to 20 minutes.


2) After your mixture has become thick and creamy stir in remaining 1/2 cup of milk, beaten egg, and sugar; making sure to stir continually.  Continue to cook until the egg is set, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Then remove the pan from the heat and stir in vanilla extract and butter.


3) Divide into 4 serving dishes and chill, then serve.  



There you have it, rice pudding made with cooked rice.  A suggestion is to sprinkle the top with cinnamon before serving, or adding raisins to the mixture when adding the extra milk and egg.  I love the cinnamon idea, but am not a fan of raisins in my rice pudding.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. So good and easy! If you love rice pudding make this recipe.

    ReplyDelete