Saturday, February 15, 2014

Chocolate Cupcakes Filled with Yogurt Frosting

There has been a boxed chocolate cake mix in my pantry for a couple of weeks now, and I have been trying to think of some thing unique to make with it; well, I made the cake mix the normal way and made cupcakes out of them.  Not a big deal, you may be thinking, and I agree; but, what I did that was different was make a yummy frosting out of vanilla yogurt.  I found the recipe on tablespoon.com and had to give it a try.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit 

Ingredients

- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (prepared with directions on box, make cupcakes)
- 3 to 4 ounces of vanilla yogurt
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 stick of softened butter (I used salted)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract


1) Prep the chocolate cake mix and bake your cupcakes or cake following the directions on the box, and cool.  Then in the bowl of a stand mixer add the powder sugar and softened butter and mix, stir in the yogurt and vanilla.  Mix until smooth and a spreading consistency


3) Set the frosting aside until the cupcakes are cool (I placed mine in the refrigerator).


3) Once your cakes are cool, frost however you would like.  I made mini filled cake sandwiches and filled cupcakes.



I received a handy little tool that removes the centers of cupcakes so that they can be easily filled.  It was a fun little process and even allowed me to put the centers back on top after filling them. (See the picture above for the cupcakes with the tops back on)


This could be a some thing fun to make with your kids, it is a simple recipe to follow and it is fun to fill the cupcakes. (Note: I used a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off to fill the cupcakes) 
One thing that I would recommend is that after you have finishing making and filling or frosting your cakes place them in the refrigerator, I personally believe the frosting tests better the colder it gets.  This frosting is slightly less sweet then store bought frosting, because of the yogurt.  I did enjoy the frosting though, it was better then I thought it would be.  All this talk about it actually makes me want to go eat another.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment