Thursday, February 13, 2014

Homemade Granola

My family loves granola, but to buy it at the store can cost upwards of $5.00 dollars for a small bag. So, I started making my own granola at home; I have tried several different recipes, all of which I love.  I have decided to share one with you, this one is great for yogurt, with milk as a cereal, or even over ice cream.  Give homemade granola a try, it is easier then you think and so much cheaper then buying it.

Preheat the oven to 350 dergees Fahrenheit

Ingredients

- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups of grape nuts cereal (I used a generic brand, the cereal was called Nutty Nuggets)
- 1/8 cup of canola or vegetale oil (I used vegetable oil)
-  1/8 cup of honey (If you don't have honey you can substitute it with sugar a water, the ratio is 1 cup of honey = 1 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water; I used 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 tbsp of water for this recipe)

Optional
- 1 cup of Toasted almonds (these are what I used this time)
- 1 cup of Toasted pecans
- 1 cup of Dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, etc)


1) Add the rolled oats and the grape nuts cereal to a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine them.  Then in a seperate bowl add the honey (or sugar and water mixture) and the oil; using a wire whisk mix the honey and oil together until you get a sticky syrup.


2) Add the honey/oil mixture to the rolled oats and cereal, mix well until every thing is coated.


3) Spread your mixture on to a baking sheet, making sure that it is spread evenly.  Place in your preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.  After about 8 to 9 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and stir, then spread evenly again.  At this point I added my chopped almonds and even sprinkled cinnamon across the top.  Place back in the oven for another 7 to 10 minutes, making sure you do not over bake it, it can burn.


4) Remove from the oven and allow to cool, (if you are adding fruit now would be the time to do it, transfer the granola to a cool baking sheet and mix in the fruit).  Once cool store in a mason jar with lid or another container with a tight seal.


There you have it, simple homemade granola that is so good.  That is what I had for breakfast with milk; and, if I had vanilla ice cream in the house you bet I would be having it over that.  You can sprinkle cinnamon on yours if you want while baking, I love the taste and smell of cinnamon so I definitely used it.  Have fun with it and let me know what other add-ins you came up with.

Enjoy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment