Monday, February 24, 2014

Classic Vanilla Buttercream Icing

Buttercream icing is my favorite, especially when it has had a chance to sit in the refrigerator over night smothered on a delicious cake.  I think I have finally found my favorite recipe for homemade buttercream icing.  It is a rather simply process to make it and I hope you get a chance to try it your self.

Ingredients

- 1 cup of unsalted butter softened 
- 3 to 4 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of vanilla
- up to 4 tbsp of heavy cream or milk (I used heavy cream)


1) Add the softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed.


2) Then add about 3 cups of confectioners sugar and mix on low (it is important to mix on low at first after adding the sugar, if not it will go every where).  After the butter and sugar have started to incorporate together increase the speed to medium and add the vanilla, salt, and 2 tbsp of cream and beat for 3 minutes.


3) If you want a thinner icing at this point add more cream and if you want a thicker icing add more sugar.


There you have the finish buttercream icing, it is so easy to work with and you can even use a little food coloring to make it whatever color you need for your cake.  A few tips that I can give is that I used 3 cups of the confectioners sugar and all 4 tbsp of heavy cream, it was the perfect consistency for my cake; and so delicious. And also, I ended up using salted butter and cutting back by a little more then half on the salt.  After trying this icing, no cake will every be the same without it; so give it a try and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment