Monday, February 17, 2014

Homemade Flour Tortillas

I love tortillas, but they can get pricy some times to buy.  So, when I was looking through my Twitter account this morning I saw that there was a post for homemade flour tortillas.  I looked at the recipe to see how in depth and "hard" the process might be, well, let me tell you, they were not as hard as I ever thought they might be and they were so delicious.  That may be the way I get my tortillas from now on, just make them in my own kitchen.  You can too, I know you can do it.

Ingredients

- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil


1) Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer.  Run the mixer on medium until the dry ingredients are well combined.  With the mixer running slowly add the warm water and the oil.  Continue to run the mixer until a smooth ball forms. Note: if a ball is not forming but all your ingredients have combined, you can remove the dough from the bowl and form a ball yourself.


2) After you have formed a dough ball, transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Take your dough ball and divide it into 16 equal piece and roll each into a small ball.  Then take each ball, one at a time, and press them between your palms to slightly flatten them. Place each slightly flattened dough ball and lay them on a floured surface (not on top of each other) and cover them with a clean cloth.  Let them rest for about 15 minutes.


3) After you have let the dough rest, heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat.  Then, roll out your flattened dough balls, so that they are about 6 inches in diameter.  Note: I did mine 1 at a time, I would roll the next one out while another was cooking.  Place your rolled out dough onto your heated skillet, letting it cook on one side for about 1 minute or until you start to see bubbles form; then flip it over and cook on the other side for about 20 to 30 seconds.  


4) Remove the finished tortilla from the skillet and set aside (cooked tortillas can be stacked on top of each other).  Repeat that process until all your tortillas are cooked.


This is what we used our tortillas for, salsa chicken tacos.


That is all that is to making a tortilla at home.  Not as bad as I thought it would be.  One thing that I do want to note, that I learned in the first couple attempts at cooking the tortillas, make sure that your skillet is throughly heated before you try to cook the first one, and be sure not to over cook them.  Once you start to see the bubbles form when you are cooking the first side, it is a good sign that it is ready to be flipped; you are really just looking for small brown spots on the tortilla you don't need to cook it much more then that.  If they are over cooked they won't be soft.  Trust me though, you can definitely do it!

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment