Monday, February 10, 2014

Simple Cinnamon Rolls

So, let me start this blog off by saying I know I have missed a day or two.  I knew this was going to happen a couple times in this year, because you know life happens and we were away at a good friends wedding; so, I couldn't post in the blog, let alone make some thing homemade in my hotel room.  But, I do promise that by the end of the year I will have 365 recipes in the blog.  

On a different note and on to the blog, I love cinnamon rolls but always was afraid of how the process might be to make them at home.  Well, let me tell you they are super simple and fun and delicious.  Give these a try some time.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredients

- 2 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 1/4 tsp of instant dry yeast
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of milk (I used skim)
- 2 1/2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1 large egg

Filling Ingredients
- 3 tbsp of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of sugar

1) Set aside 1/2 cup of flour, then add 2 1/4 cups of flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast together in a large mixing bowl.


2) Heat the milk, water, and butter together until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot to the touch.  Then stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture.


3) After mixing the liquid mixture to the dry mixture, add the egg and just enough of the flour you set aside to make a soft dough.  Once the dough is soft and pulls away from the side of the bowl without sticking, remove it from your bowl and knead it for about 3 to 4 minutes on a lightly floured surface. Then place it in a greased bowl and let rise for about 10 minutes.


4) While the dough is rising mix the cinnamon and sugar together for your filling.  After the 10 minutes remove your dough from the bowl and roll out on a lightly floured surface to about the size of a 14 x 8 rectangle.


5) Spread your softened butter over the top of the rolled out dough and then spread the cinnamon and sugar mix over the dough. (You can use more sugar and/or cinnamon if you like a sweeter cinnamon roll)


6) Roll the dough tightly, then cut into 11 equal pieces.  Place in a lightly greased glass 9 inch pie dish.  Cover with foil and set in a warm and draft free place for about 60 to 90 minutes or until the rolls have doubled in size.


7) Once the rolls have doubled in size place in your preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.


8) Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly then serve.


There you have it, simple and delicious cinnamon rolls.  I did not add extra sugar when I made them this time but next time I might, because I like mine pretty sweet.  This recipe gave it just enough cinnamon and sugar for that lovely hint of cinnamon and sweetness, but like I said if you like sweet sweet things add a touch more sugar.
You can also add a glaze to the top while still warm.  The glaze I made was just 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 tbsp of milk, and 1 tsp of vanilla, mixed and spread on the rolls.

Give them a try some time, you can do it.


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment