Monday, February 24, 2014

Basic Yellow Cake

My personal favorite cake is yellow cake with buttercream icing, so I searched online for the perfect recipe for a yellow cake for my little girl's birthday and I found this recipe.  I love it; it is a slightly cross between yellow cake and pound cake, but more on the yellow cake side. It was a hit at the party and I hope it can be a hit at your party too.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredients

- 2 1/4 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 3 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 1/4 cups of milk, plus enough vegetable oil poured into the milk to measure 1 1/3 cups
- 1 stick of butter softened (I used salted)
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs (no need to beat ahead of time)


1) In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix well.


2) Measure the milk and the oil (pour 1 1/4 cups of milk in a 2 cup measuring cup, then add the oil until your liquid reaches the 1 1/3 cup line); add to the dry mixture.  Then add the butter and vanilla, beat on medium for 2 minutes. 


3) Then add the eggs and beat for another 2 minutes.


4) Pour your batter into 2 greased 9 inch cake pans and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until your cake tester comes out clean.  Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire racks in the cake pan for about 15 minutes and then remove the cakes from the pans and allow to cool completely before icing.


Once again, sorry I don't have a picture of the finished product, with the busyness here the cake was eaten before I snapped a picture of the delicious yellow cake.  I hope you give this one a try some time, it is definitely a keeper and will be my go to yellow cake now.  Make sure you check out my post for classic buttercream icing as well, they go perfect together.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment