Monday, February 17, 2014

Crock Pot Salsa Chicken

I love any kind of taco or burrito, just basically any thing that is wrapped in a tortilla.  So, for dinner tonight I made a easy crock pot salsa chicken to go in our tortillas. One of those throw every thing in the crock pot and turn it on, then you are set for dinner type things; it was delicious and I even got to run around with my little ones while it was cooking.

Ingredients

- 2 to 3 lbs of chicken breasts
- 1 16 oz jar of salsa (your choice, I used Market Pantry black bean and corn salsa)
- 1 small can of diced chiles, undrained
- 1 15 oz can of corn, undrained
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of chili powder

Optional
- 1 package of tortillas or homemade tortillas (I will have a blog about the homemade tortillas)
- Shredded Mexcican blend cheese
- Sour Cream


1) Place the chicken in the bottom of the crock pot; pour the salsa, corn (undrained), diced chiles (undrained), garlic powder, and chili powder over the chicken.  Stir up the ingredients slightly, just so that every thing is mixed together and the chicken is mainly covered. Turn the crock pot on, set for 4-5 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.


2) Once the chicken has cooked (no need to stir during cooking), you can remove just the chicken breasts from the crock pot to shred (if you are making tacos).  I used my stand mixer to shred the chicken, I placed 2 chicken breasts in at a time (no need to cool them) and turned it on low to medium speed until shredded and then place back in the crock pot. 


3) Once all the chicken is shredded an back in the crock pot stir and serve.


4) I did ours in a soft flour tortilla, topped with shredded Mexican blend cheese and served with a side of sour cream.


There you have it, simple crock pot salsa chicken.  As you can see I used ours for tacos which were AMAZING.  I made homemade flour tortillas to go along with it.  One thing that I may try next time is to add some fresh green and red bell peppers and fresh tomatoes, with a splash of lime to the taco on top of the salsa chicken.  Give them a try some time.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment