Thursday, September 24, 2015

Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks

First off, I really should invest in these crockpot liners that I hear so many people talking about; I have made a recipe in my crockpot almost every night this week, so scrubbing it is getting tiring.

I love chicken drumsticks, as I may have mention in previous posts with a recipes for chicken drumsticks. Today I decided to try out a recipe I found here for buffalo chicken drumsticks; I tend to crave any kind of buffalo chicken every since I was pregnant with my daughter (who is now 2.5 years old), so this recipe really made me excited. It is another one of those simple throw every thing in the crockpot and let the crockpot work its magic type recipes. Give it a try, I really enjoyed this one.

Ingredients

- 4 lbs of Chicken Drumsticks (skin on or skin off, its your choice; I left the skin on. 
Small note though: with the skin on you will need to use the 
broiler in the oven for about 15-20 minutes after the 
chicken is done in the crockpot, to crisp the skin)
- 1 cup of Buffalo Sauce (I used Frank's Redhot)
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper (you can use more if you like it spicy)
- Salt to Taste


1) Mix all of the spices together in a small bowl.


2) Measure out about 1/2 cup of the buffalo sauce and pour half of it into the bottom of the crockpot. Place the chicken on top (make sure if you want to make them without skin to do it before placing them in the crockpot), try to keep the chicken in a single layer. Then sprinkle the spice mix on the chicken, trying to spread it evenly. Drizzle the remaining buffalo sauce you measured out on top of the chicken. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.


3) After your chicken has cooked (mine was in the crockpot for about 5 hours) do the following:

For skin less chicken: Remove from the crockpot, measure out the remaining 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce (heat it up), and using a basting brush, brush each drumstick with sauce, then serve.

For skin on chicken:  Move the center oven rack to the upper/middle spot and turn your oven broiler on. Remove the drumsticks from the crockpot placing them on a slotted broiler pan, skin side up, measure out the remaining 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce, using a basting brush, brush half of the sauce on the chicken. Place them in the oven, broil for about 8-10 minutes, remove the pan, flip the chicken over and brush the other side with the remaining sauce; then, place bake under the broiler for another 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.


Although in the picture the skin may look "burnt", it is not,
 it is partially the spices and perfectly crisped skin.

Pretty simple and very delicious. Like I said I tend to crave buffalo chicken, so this recipe ranks higher in my books then it may in some one else's. Give it a try for your self.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment