Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Alfredo Sauce

Once in awhile I like to switch up from the normal red sauce on our pasta with a nice homemade Alfredo sauce. I used to be intimidated to make homemade Alfredo sauce, but once  I started testing out different recipes, it is rather easy. And, not to mention a lot better for you then the jarred Alfredo; it is nice being able to control the salt level and not having preservatives.  Speaking of preservatives, this homemade sauce is best the first night you make it. Give this recipe from allrecipes.com a try.

Ingredients

- 1/4 cup of butter (I used salted)
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 clove of garlic crushed or 1/8 tsp of garlic powder (I used garlic powder because we did not have fresh garlic)
- 1 1/2 cups of grated Parmesan cheese (the recipe suggests freshly grated, but I did not have fresh so I used the bottled version)
- 1/4 cup of parsley (I used dry parsley)


1) Melt your butter in a saucepan over medium to low heat.


2) Once the butter is melted add the cream and simmer for 5 minutes.


3) Then add the cheese and garlic (powder or fresh) and whisk quickly, making sure to heat through.


4) Stir in the parsley and you are ready to serve.


We enjoyed ours over whole wheat pasta, red bell pepper, and steamed broccoli.


Honestly this is one of the best homemade recipes I have tried, it is very full of flavor. One word of advice is to make sure that the when adding the cheese to whisk it right away and make sure you heat it through, if not it can give you more of a chalky feeling; using freshly grated Parmesan can help with that issue as well.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment