Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cinnamon Oatmeal Apple Bites

I have been trying to eat healthier (this is the reason I have not posted as often, when I want to make some thing for the blog, I normally want some thing baked with lots of yummy goodness, but a lot more calories then I need).  So, today I decided to try a little experiment with apples and oatmeal that would give me a healthier snack, but also cure my sweet treat craving.  So these apple bites were created and only 35 calories a bite, which is great cause 1 or 2 do the trick for me.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredients

- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium to large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of milk (I used skim milk)


1) Peel, core and cut your apples and set aside.  In a shallow flat bowl add your flour, in another bowl add your eggs, milk and vanilla and beat together, then in a third bowl add oats, cinnamon, and sugar mixing well.


2) Take an apple slice and roll it in the flour, then the egg mixture, and then the oat mixture, then place on a large baking sheet. Note: the apples won't be completely coated but that is ok. 


3) Place the baking sheet in your preheated oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly and enjoy with your favorite yogurt, by them selves or if you would like with some vanilla ice cream.


To be honest when I was prepping these I really wanted to fry them, but I know they wouldn't be to high on the healthy scale any more if I did that, so I stick with baking them.  But, if you want you can try them fried. Also, if you want to can omit the flour and eggs all together and just roll the apples in the milk and vanilla, then the oat mixture, it just might not coat as well.

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment