Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Homemade Raisins

For those of you who don't know, about 3 weeks ago I broke my arm playing soccer, which has made it super hard for me to make new recipes and type. So, now that my arm is starting to heal and feel slightly better, I am back.  I have so much catching up to do, so please bare with me.

I will start with one of my kids favorite snacks, raisins.  I decided to try my hand at making homemade raisins with my food dehydrator.  The key to making the raisins is to submerge them in hot/boiling water in order to break the skins.  If the skins aren't cracked before placing them in the dehydrator there will not be a way for pressure/moisture to escape while they dehydrate.  (I learned my lesson when I tried making craisins, not all the skins were popped and most didn't turn out.) Give it a try, it is actually rather simple.

Ingredients

- Grapes, your choice of color (I used red grapes)
- Boiling Water


1) Remove your grapes from the vine and rinse well. Meanwhile, have a pot of water on the stove to heat up, to boiling.  Once the water reaches boiling you can pour the grapes in and turn the heat off. The skins of the grapes will start to crack and the grapes will float to the top.  The grapes only need to be in the water for a minute or two. Remove the grapes from the water.


2) After you have removed the cracked grapes from the water place on the tray of your food dehydrator. Place the lid on the dehydrator and turn it on around 135 to 145 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8 to 10 hours.


3) After your grapes have been in the dehydrator for about 8 hours check them to see if they resemble raisins, because when they do they are done. Remove from the dehydrator and enjoy.

I hope you get a chance to try these, I know my family really enjoyed them. In my opinion they taste better then the processed, sugary store bought ones. One note that I want to say is that I didn't give a portion size for the grapes, because it is really up to you how many you want to make; I used about a pound of grapes and that makes about 2-3 servings of raisins.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment