Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Crockpot Bread Pudding

After this past weekend of Bar-B-Ques and get togethers to celebrate the fathers in our lives there were some left over hamburger buns (a lot of them) and I had no idea what we were going to do with all of them.  So, today I was searching Pinterest for an idea of what to do with them; I decided I was going to make a bread pudding. Most bread puddings call for day old French bread or cinnamon rolls/bread, but I decide to try these hamburger buns and see how it turns out. I was pleasantly surprised, this is a very tasty recipe and it is no fuss because it is made in the crockpot. Give this one a try.

Ingredients

- 8 cups of cubed bread (I used 8 hamburger buns, which totaled 8 cups)
- 4 eggs (I used large eggs)
- 2 cups of milk (I used skim milk)
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted (I used salted butter. FYI 1/4 cup is 1/2 of a stick)
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of cinnamon


1) Cube the hamburger buns and set them aside in a large bowl or large measuring cup. In a separate large bowl combine eggs (I beat mine before add the rest of the ingredients), milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and melted butter, then beat until smooth. Note: make sure the melted butter is not hot when you add it to your mixture, it will set your eggs.


2) Pour your cubed bread into the bottom of the crockpot and then pour your wet mixture on top. Gently mix to combine, then place the lid on the crockpot.


3) Cook on low for 2-3 hours. (I cooked mine for almost 3 hours). Divide and serve.


Before serving mine I sprinkled it with cinnamon and powdered sugar. My daughter loves this recipe and it looks like we will be making it a lot more at this house. Two other ingredients that are optional, both of which I did not use, are 1/4 tsp of nutmeg and 1 cup of raisins (both are added to the wet mixture before pouring over the bread). I found this recipe on Lynnskitchenadventures.com through Pinterest.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment