Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Fresh Salsa

Today I was looking for some thing light and fresh to make, since the temperature was pushing the mid 90s. I did not really want to bake or cook a large meal, so I saw the tomatoes my Mother-in-law gave me the other day (since she had so many and did not want them to go bad) and my first thought was salsa! I did not have all the ingredients that I would normally want when making salsa, but I thought I would improvise and make my own version of salsa with what I had on hand. I am pretty pleased with the result and I hope you will be to, give it a try.

Ingredients
- 1 large tomato, diced (no need to remove the pulp of the tomato, it will make a nice juice for the salsa)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (This is what I had, you can use green, jalapenos, or chiles if you prefer)
- 1/4 of a onion, finely diced (I used a sweet onion, red onions work well too)
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 can of whole kernel corn (drain only half of the liquid from the can)
- 1/3 cup of Verde sauce (it is sold in the aisle with salsas at the grocery store)
- sprinkle of salt and pepper, to taste


1) Dice your tomato, pepper, and onion and place in a large bowl. Then add the corn, minced garlic, salt and pepper, and the Verde sauce.


2) Mix every thing together and chill it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.


When I tasted the salsa after making it I have to admit I ate a couple of spoonfuls, it was so fresh and delicious that I just had to. Next time I make this salsa I will most likely add some jalapenos to add a kick and some cilantro and lime. Tonight we are going to be enjoying this salsa over a filet of Tilapia, they go great together (if you haven't tried fresh salsa over fish, I would definitely recommend it).

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment