Thursday, June 19, 2014

Maple and Brown Sugar Muffins

My kids love Cream of Wheat or any brand of hot wheat cereal, and yesterday when I bought a box for them there was a recipe for what they call Maple and Brown Sugar Magic Muffins. It of course uses the wheat cereal; I found the recipe intriguing and it sounded quite tasty, so I made the muffins. I will have to say these muffins are the perfect breakfast muffins; they are filling, yet not to sweet. They actually remind me a little of a corn muffin, texture wise, but obviously a totally different taste. I hope you give these a try, and hey if you are in the area I can bring you some to try.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredients

- 1 1/4 cup of flour (I used All-purpose because that is all we had, but wheat flour works too)
- 1 cup of maple and brown sugar wheat cereal, dry (I used Malt-O-Meal brand)
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of milk (I used skim milk)
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil (You can substitute this for 1/4 cup of applesauce or fruit puree)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract (optional)


1) Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.


2) Mix the ingredients together until well blended.


3) Fill the cups of a muffin pan 3/4 full; use either paper cups or grease the cups of the pan. And place in your preheated oven, bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are firm to the touch.


4) Once the muffins are finished baking remove the pan from the oven and allow the muffins to cool slightly in the pan, about 5 minutes, then remove them from the pan and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.


There you have it, 12 delicious muffins, waiting to be consumed for breakfast. One thing that I think will go nicely with these muffins is a spoonful of fruit preserves and a glass of milk. I hope you get a chance to try these, they are quite delicious.

Enjoy!!!


2 comments:

  1. These look interesting! I'm putting them on my list! Just have to remember to pick up some cream of wheat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! They were a pretty big hit in our house.

      Delete