Monday, December 9, 2013

Delicious Pancakes... maybe for Christmas morning?!?

After buying boxed pancake mix for countless years, I have decided it's time to search the internet and find an easy yet super delicious recipe for homemade pancakes. During my search I found this recipe (found on hubpages.com) and tested it out on my kids and husband; let me just say one of the first things my husband said is that they were the best pancakes he ever had. They are full of flavor and very fluffy, everyone will come back for seconds and maybe thirds. So here they are step by step.

Preheat your pan or griddle to medium heat (do not use cooking spray or butter on the pan or griddle until you are ready to pour your batter)

Ingredients

- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt (this is what makes these pancakes so fluffy)
- 1 tbsp sugar (if you want to use less sugar you can use 1 tsp and they will still be amazing, I have made it both ways)
- 1 1/4 cup milk (I have tested it with skim milk and whole milk, both are great, but I would recommend whole milk)
- 1 egg (I used a large egg)
- 3 tbsp melted butter (I used salted butter)


1) In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together.  Then make a well in the middle of the dry mix to put the rest of the ingredients.




2) Add the milk, egg (I don't beat mine ahead of time), and melted butter to the well you made.


3) Using a rubber spatula mix the ingredients until just combined. Lumps are not a bad thing.


4) Add your butter or use your cooking spray on your pan or griddle now and then pour your batter onto the preheated surface. I used cooking spray and a griddle, and a 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour the batter. Once your pancakes have formed bubbles uniformly across the tops it is time flip them; after about 1-2 more minutes they will be done.




There you have delicious, golden brown, fluffy pancakes. You will be able to make 7-9 small pancakes with this recipe. Also, I didn't add any thing else to them, but I urge you to try them with chocolate chips, fruit, or any of your other pancake favorites. 

PS: try using cookie cutters to make fun shapes for Christmas morning.

 Spray the cookie cutters around the inside edges with cooking spray before putting them on your griddle. Then add your batter (fill only about 1/3 of the way because they will rise) , once you start to see a few bubbles gently take the cookie cutters off (be careful, they will be hot). Then flip them like normal and enjoy fun shaped pancakes. My kids love them.




Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. We made the switch from boxed pancake mix about a year ago also. There is no comparison! One time before church, we had nothing else for breakfast and found an old (not expired though) box of mix in the pantry and made it. I could barely choke them down. I guess I am a pancake snob now. ; P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely the way to go. Thank you for following my blog!

      Delete