Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Chicken Cordon Bleu... SO much easier then you may think

There are so many different ways to prep chicken cordon bleu and so many different kinds of cheese to fill them with; but, this recipe is super simple and basic. I decided after doing some searching on the internet and taking a little from my sister-in-laws recipe that I would just modify and make my own version of all the recipes I have seen.  Try it some time, it is so delicious; I honestly was a little sad when it was gone tonight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredients
(makes 2 servings, adjust to your needs)

- 2 medium size chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 2 slices of ham (I used Market Pantry black forest ham)
- 2 slices of cheese (I used American cheese)
- 3 tbsp of butter, melted (I used salted)
- 3/4 cup of bread crumbs (I used Progresso Italian bread crumbs)


- Toothpicks
- Meat tenderizer
- Plastic wrap


1) Wrap each chicken breast with plastic wrap loosely, (it helps keep the chicken together and not fly all over the place if you use the meat tenderizer to hard). With the meat tenderizer flatten the chicken breast, so that it is wider and longer.


2) Remove the plastic wrap and place one slice of ham and one slice of cheese on each chicken breast.  Starting at one end roll the chicken around the ham and cheese and secure with toothpicks (I used 4 for each chicken breast).


3) Prep a wide, flat bowl with butter and another with bread crumbs.  Roll the chicken in the butter, coating it well, then roll it through the bread crumbs, again coating it well.


4) Place the chicken breast on a baking sheet and place in your preheated oven. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until browned and/or the juices of the chicken run clear.


5) Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, remove toothpicks and serve.



There you have it; super simple, homemade chicken cordon bleu. One suggestion that I would definitely like to make is to keep track of the amount of toothpicks you place in each chicken breast, so you can make sure you remove them all and not bite into one.   I hope that you give this a try some time, it is definitely a crowd pleaser. 

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment