Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Corn muffins... Great with traditional New Years Day pork and sauerkraut

Well, the new year is here and I hope everyone is having a great one so far. I know I really enjoy this time of year to celebrate with family and every year on this day my husband and his family carry out the tradition of pork and sauerkraut. This meal would not be complete without corn bread or corn muffins, so this year I made homemade corn muffins. Here is the recipe and step by step details, I hope you try them some time; I know my family and I tend to enjoy homemade better then boxed mixes.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit 

Ingredients

- 1 cup of cornmeal (I used finely ground cornmeal)
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 2 eggs (I used large eggs)
- 2 tbsp of oil (I used canola oil)
- 1 1/4 cup of milk (I used whole milk)



1) In a medium mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and in a separate bowl combine the eggs (beat your eggs in the bowl before you add the oil or milk), oil, and milk.



2) Then, add your wet ingredients to the dry mixture and fold them together, lumps are normal.



3) Using a greased muffin pan or one lined with paper cupcake liners, fill each cavity about 1/2 full with your batter. Place muffin pan in the preheated oven and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on the top.




One thing that I might adjust, depending on your taste, is that these corn muffins aren't particularly sweet (although still very tasty), you could add a bit more sugar, if you would like. Another suggestion is to leave the recipe as is and serve the corn muffins with warmed Kings Syrup; it gives them an added sweetness.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment