Friday, January 3, 2014

Oatmeal cookies... these are egg free and delicious

I wanted so bad to make oatmeal cookies today, but I ran into a dilemma, I used the rest of our eggs this morning to make my son breakfast.  Even though I buy eggs 5 dozen at a time we still ran out; but, I was not going to let that stop me from making oatmeal cookies.  After a quick search on the internet I found this recipe (on allrecipes.com), which uses applesauce and no eggs or butter.  I personally love the finished product and hope you will too.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredients

- 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar (I used dark brown sugar this time, I tend to vary which kind I use)
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of applesauce (I used a no sugar added, all natural applesauce)
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon 
- 1 cup of rolled oats

Optional:
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
(I didn't use either this time)


1) In a medium mixing bowl stir together the brown sugar, sugar, and applesauce.  In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. (I mixed every thing with a spatula for this recipe instead of a hand or stand mixer)


2) Stir the flour mixture into the applesauce mixture until well combined.


3) Add the rolled oats to the mixture and combine well. (if you are using raisins or nuts add them in at this time as well)


4) Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of batter onto your cookie sheets and place in your preheated oven.  Bake for about 10 minutes depending on your oven.


5) After the cookies have finished baking, let them cool slightly on the cookie sheet before moving them to a cooling rack or plate.



As you can see from my finished cookies, I decided to add pumpkin spice Hershey kisses to them; which, let me tell you, are AMAZING!!  A suggestion that I would have about adding the Hershey kisses would be to add them half way through the baking time, instead of the whole time, because they can get slightly browned on top if left in to long. Also, if you would like a stronger cinnamon flavor, I would suggest that you add 3/4 to 1 tsp of cinnamon instead of the 1/2 tsp the recipe calls for (I personally love the taste of cinnamon).
These cookies will have a chewier texture then what most of you are used to, because of the applesauce, but it does not take away from the deliciousness of these cookies, I promise.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment