Saturday, January 11, 2014

Irresistible hummus... made without garlic

To follow up yesterday's post of homemade tahini, today I will post a recipe for homemade hummus that is amazing.  I have made hummus a couple of times before and could never seem to find a recipe that I liked; it was just never the same as some of the store bought ones.  Well, I have finally found a recipe (on mightygoodeats.ca) for hummus that will be made in my home probably every week, it's that good. (My 10 month old daughter eats it by the spoonfuls and can't seem to get enough).  I hope you get a chance to try it and I hope you love it as much as we do.

Ingredients

- 1 can of chickpeas (do not drain, but instead scoop them out of the can with a spoon so you retain some of the juices)
- 4 tbsp of tahini (the tahini that you probably just made)
- Pinch of paprika
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon (I used close to a whole lemon)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of cold water

The recipe also called for 1 tsp of cumin powder, but I omitted that since my family is not to fond of it.


1) Juice your lemon, making sure all the seeds stay out of the juice.


2) Add all of your ingredients to a food processor or blender and process the ingredients until smooth.


3) Before you remove your hummus from your food processor or blender taste it, if you want it smoother or for it to have more of a nutty taste add more tahini.  If you want it to have more of a kick to it add some more lemon and salt, or you could even try some lime. Then scoop into a bowl and serve with pita chips or crackers (whatever you prefer), or store in the refrigerator for up to a couple of days. 


That is it, pretty simple for the most part.  This recipe is so delicious and will probably be eaten rather quickly, so maybe you can make a couple of batches, just to be ready; I know I will have to start doing that.  If I didn't note in the post about tahini, that recipe will be enough tahini for about 3 batches of this hummus.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment