Saturday, January 18, 2014

Sauteed Chicken in a Loaf

I am sure you are all wondering what sauteed chicken in a loaf is; well, growing up my mom would make ground beef and put it in bread dough with cheese and wrap it up and bake it, we would called it meat in a loaf. This recipe is a spin off of that; and whether you make this with ground beef, chicken, or vegetables I think every household should make this, especially those with small kids. This is one recipe I will never forget from my childhood and I hope my kids won't either.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredients

- 1 to 2 lbs of chicken breasts (depending on how many loaves you make; also you can substitute ground beef if you prefer)
- frozen bread dough or freshly made bread dough (enough for the amount of loaves you would like to make, and today I used fresh bread dough)
- 4 slices of American cheese (2 for each loaf, you can use any type of cheese you prefer)

Optional

- 1/2 of a medium sweet onion, sauteed
- Adobo seasoning for the chicken 


1) Cut the chicken breasts into small cubes and place in a heated large sautee pan with 2 tsp of oil, sprinkle with Adobo seasoning, cook all the way through and then remove from heat. While your chicken is cooking, chop your onion and sautee.


2) Once the chicken and onion are finished divide your portions depending on your number of loaves. Stretch your dough over the edges of a loaf pan and gently push down the middle of the dough to form a well. Place your chicken and onions inside the well and top with cheese. (I used shredded pepper Jack and 1 slice of American cheese for the loaf pictured))


3) Wrap your dough around the filling and pinch the ends, making sure there is no exposed filling. 


4) Place in your preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the dough is golden brown. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, slice and serve.


There you have it. This is a simple recipe and can be altered very easily to your own preference of meat, vegetables, cheeses, and any thing else you can think of. To me this is comfort food that reminds me of great childhood memories, and so delicious. Your friends will ask you for the recipe, guaranteed.
 Tomorrow I will share the recipe for the bread dough I used.


Enjoy!!







No comments:

Post a Comment